Gallery: Blakedown Signal Box

After plans were made to demolish the 19th Century Blakedown Signal Box in Mill Lane, Network Rail donated the structure to Churchill and Blakedown Parish Council, on the condition that they could move it.

The signal box, built in 1888, was too close to the track to be utilized where it was situated; at a mere 2 meters away it was in the red zone for passing trains, meaning it needed to be taken down, brick by brick, and rebuilt in a new location.

Wyre Forest District Council and Community Housing agreed to the signal box being rebuilt on the other side of Mill Lane, in a tenant's garden. A historical society will be formed, which will use the signal box as a meeting place.

The takedown was done during track closures, and took some 20 hours to remove overnight. We are very proud of this achievement, given the timescale and the constraints we were under.

Upon its rebuild, the signal box has been altered to accomodate its change of use. The building now has a disabled toilet, its main entrance is disabled compliant, and it has an internal lift to facilitate movement between floors. The external staircase, which has been made in Idigbo wood, will replace the modern steel staircase which was removed during the takedown.